I've used DokuWiki as a CMS for several website projects. The default theme
is no great shakes, but you can theme it to look like anything and there
are hundreds of plugins. I think the syntax it uses is much friendlier than
that used by Mediapress.

http://dokuwiki.org/

I've also been curious about Octopress. Nominally a blogging layer for
Jekyll, with the new version I think it can probably work as a CMS. It uses
Markdown as the syntax.

http://octopress.org/