I agree, one will lose quality converting tiff to jpg back to tiff.

We experienced with batch converting tens of thousands of tiffs to PDF
for a newspaper digitization project. For us we found that though Image
Magick does convert, the output PDF file sizes were huge to retain a
decent  quality PDF.  We ended up using poppler 0.20.5 on mac.

In separate projects we have used Adobe Bridge to batch output a tiff
image per page in PDF.

regards,
Monica