Hi, Michael,

I'd recommend using MP4 and WebM to get the greatest amount of browser
coverage at the best compression levels at the same quality without
converting to three formats. Make sure that the MP4 you're using is
Web optimized (puts the metadata at the beginning of the file). For
older browsers that do not support HTML5 Video or that do not support
MP4 or WebM, you will also want to have a fallback to Flash which
reuses the MP4. Take a look at the players here that have Flash
fallback:
http://praegnanz.de/html5video/
My favorite player right now is MediaElement.js [1] because of the
unified look and API between HTML5 and Flash players.

I'd also recommend converting your SRT files to WebVTT [2], which is
similar and the actively developed standard for subtitles, captions,
audio descriptions, and timed data. Look for a polyfill that will
utilize the track element. If you want a table of contents you can
look for support for chapters in a polyfill or embed them on the page
similar to what I've done with transcripts [3][4].

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have questions.

Jason

[1] http://mediaelementjs.com/
[2] http://dev.w3.org/html5/webvtt/
[3] http://jronallo.github.io/blog/using-the-webvtt-ruby-gem-to-display-subtitles-on-the-page/