The BitCurator project (www.bitcurator.net), a joint research initiative of
the Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities (MITH) at the
University of Maryland, College Park, and the School of Information and
Library Science at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, is seeking
a Community Lead to build an active user community for our project, promote
and evangelize our work (through both site visits and social media), and
provide expert support to our users. The position will be based at MITH, an
established digital humanities center whose location just outside of
Washington DC will afford the Community Lead easy access to the area's diverse
cultural heritage community.

The Community Lead will be responsible for representing the BitCurator project
in public contexts; conducting site visits to work with the partner
institutions represented on our Professional Experts Panel and Development
Advisory Group; promoting BitCurator through social media, online community-
building, and at conferences; gathering and analyzing user feedback in
conjunction with our developers; creating and maintaining documentation; and
working with the project team to develop a long-term sustainability plan for
BitCurator's deliverables.

We are seeking a candidate who has been involved with successful information
science, archives, and/or digital humanities projects, and can work
collaboratively with archivists, librarians, researchers, and programmers.
Candidates should be prepared to demonstrate their strengths as organizers and
communicators, and should possess significant personal initiative and
responsibility. In addition, a strong candidate for this position should have:

• Demonstrated experience in working in Linux environments (particularly
Ubuntu 12.04): familiarity with GUI and command-line tools, disk formats, disk
mounting and imaging tools.

• Familiarity with library and archives metadata standards.

• General knowledge of XML and XML parsing software.

• Familiarity with virtualization tools (VirtualBox, VMWare, etc).

• Demonstrated experience in compiling and using open source software, and use
of online repositories (including GitHub).

• User needs analysis skills.

• Ability to use and maintain WordPress and MediaWiki sites.

The Community Lead is a full-time Faculty Research Assistant position at the
University of Maryland, funded for a period of twelve (12) months beginning
October 1, 2013. Salary is $60,000. The University also offers a competitive
benefits package. To apply, submit your letter of interest, CV, and complete
contact information for three references online at ejobs.umd.edu. Inquiries
should be directed to Matthew Kirschenbaum ([log in to unmask]). Review of
applications will continue on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
For best consideration, apply by May 1st.

Minimum Qualifications:

A bachelor's degree is required.

Preferences:

MA, MLS, or Ph.D. are preferred. Prior knowledge of digital forensics software
and a background in archives are both desirable.

Additional Certifications:

Additional Information:

Jointly supported by the University of Maryland's College of Arts and
Humanities and the University of Maryland Libraries, MITH engages in
collaborative, interdisciplinary work at the intersection of technology and
humanistic inquiry. Housed in a newly renovated 4200 square foot space, MITH
specializes in text and image analytics for cultural heritage collections,
data curation, digital preservation, linked data applications, and scholarly
communication. MITH was recently selected as a host institution for the
National Digital Stewardship Residency program, and the Community Lead will
also enjoy interaction with a Born-Digital Working Group jointly sponsored by
MITH and the University Libraries.

Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/7160/