The User Experience (UX) Department at the University of Michigan Library is seeking a talented and enthusiastic Interface Designer. The ideal candidate will be able to create beautiful and usable interfaces, have a passion for understanding users, strong problem
solving skills, and be invested in improving the library web experience. The Interface Designer will focus on interface design but also take part in the full range of departmental duties, including user research/usability, accessibility, and web analytics.
The Interface Designer works in a collaborative team environment and participates in all stages of development ? from concept to implementation.
About the UX Department: the UX Department manages the design, user research, and content strategy needs of the library?s primary public interfaces - including multiple websites, access systems, search apps, and mobile interfaces. These interfaces provide access to over 10 million physical and digital resources and are visited by over 2 million users a month. More information about the UX Department may be found at our website: bit.ly/MLibraryUX
This position will be a full-time, two-year term appointment with the possibility of renewal and may be filled in the Information Technology or Librarian job family.
Interface Design 60%
* Create concept sketches, flow diagrams, wireframes, mockups, and html prototypes.
* Create complete visual designs, web-ready graphics, and style guides.
* Conduct ongoing research into the development of new interface capabilities, enhancements, industry best practices, and user-centered design trends.
User Research 20%
* Assist with user research/usability studies using a variety of techniques (e.g. formal/informal usability testing, online surveys, card sorting, interviews, observations, focus groups, participatory design).
* Conduct regular web analytics to identify opportunities for improvement.
* Assist with web accessibility audits.
Project Management & Communication 20%
* Help scope, plan, and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
* Communicate project priorities and goals with project stakeholders, developers, and library-wide staff.
* Create and maintain project documentation.
* Participate, as needed, on library committees. May provide advice or assistance to other units within the University Library regarding user research or interface issues.
* A Bachelor's degree in a relevant field and training or experience in information technologies or an equivalent combination of experience and education. An ALA-accredited Master's degree in Library or Information Science, or an equivalent combination of a
relevant advanced degree (e.g., Graphic Design, UxD, HCI) and experience is required for appointment as a librarian.
* Excellent interface design skills with a strong understanding of user-centered web design principles, typography, composition, and color theory. Experience creating complete interface designs and web-ready graphics.
* Experience creating concept sketches, flow diagrams, wire frames, and mock-ups.
* Proficiency with graphics software and prototyping software (e.g., Photoshop, Illustrator, Omnigraffle, Visio)
* Excellent organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Ability to work independently and contribute and collaborate effectively as a member of a team.
- Experience designing and/or evaluating library systems or other complex websites.
- Experience designing and/or evaluating mobile interfaces.
- Experience with a variety of user research/usability methods.
- Familiarity with web accessibility standards and coding techniques.
- Experience with HTML/CSS and knowledge of more advanced front-end technologies.
- Experience with web analytics analysis.
- Knowledge or experience with SEO.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended. http://umjobs.org/job_detail/80525/interface_designer. Review of applications will begin 4/25/13 and continue until the position is filled.
To unsubscribe from the DLF-ANNOUNCE list, click the following link: