Just curious if anyone has any thoughts about this possibility (I already
know it's not practical): Can I automatically forward to a database all
emails sent to a specific email address? I've seen proprietary things like
Email2DB, but is there a simple open source alternative?

Background: At MPOW there is an admin site where employees periodically
login and check for unanswered patron emails. Patrons submit a PHP email
form, the form data is saved in a SQL database, and the admin site queries
that database, which populates the tables in the admin site. Yes, this is
convoluted, but just imagine that I'm not able to change this system to
something more streamlined.

This system was made by a previous employee I think in order to alleviate
all emails going to an email alias, which creates issues with one email
being answered twice by two different employees.

So I would create a simple email address (say, [log in to unmask]) to give to
patrons (vs. pushing them to a site to fill out a PHP form), but I want to
avoid using an email alias that will push all new emails into all alias
members' email boxes. The admin site method then would allows loggers-in to
claim new emails and others then to see them as 'read'.

Any thoughts, advice, threats?

-Scott