Great news, Edward!

Who is the audience of the workshop?

Are you trying to convince administrators, or give ideas to tech people?
This will determine how "hands on" hands on is...

Do you have a 3D printer? A demo would make sense -- 3D printing is on its
way to mainstream, but still impressive and unusual (even unthinkable!) to
people.

What about a LilyPad project?
http://lilypadarduino.org/

Perhaps there's a small grant available for purchasing reusable electronics?

-Jodi