On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 7:14 AM, Robert Forkel <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Good questions.
> Or
> once the web framework is no longer supported, there should be an export
> mechanism to create a set of static resources which can be hosted with just
> a webserver.

Completely agree. This should be relatively simple with Omeka
installations, as the URL for any given item is along the lines of
http://server.org/items/show/41 , so presumably it would be possible
to "crawl" the site and write out the responses to static files. And
any images are not stored in the database but in the filesystem, so it
is at least in the realm of possibility that they could be lashed up
as appropriate. I always thought that a database for most Omeka
installations was overkill and only added another layer of complexity.

Of course other software platforms would likely pose other challenges,
but if you could at least reach a point where it is agreed a site will
no longer maintained, there may be some options for turning it into a
set of static files through either a process like that above or a web
site harvester so that you never need to upgrade the software again.
Roy