Just getting started with our search, so I figured it would make sense to
toss this query to y'all:

I have a faculty who has been tasked with setting up a knowledge base of
facts geared towards students who will be sitting a standardized subject
exam. The nature of this exam is such that folks typically spend a
loooonng time prepping for it and have to review a dizzying array of
material. Because of this, this resource will be big and possibly kind of
unwieldy. I need something that will allow for: a few thousand short
"articles" about different topics, multiple contributors/editors for those
articles, decent support for full-text searching as well as  reasonable
support for creation/maintenance/search of whatever metadata scheme that
makes sense once this thing starts to come together.

Any ideas on where to start looking? Use a commercial help-desk-oriented
package? Self-host a wiki instance? Try to hack something together
in-house using a CMS? Any thoughts would be most welcome....

Ed Sperr, M.L.I.S.
Copyright and Electronic Resources Officer
St. George's University
This e-mail is intended to be a private and confidential communication.
This message (and any attachments) contains information that is
confidential and privileged and protected from disclosure. It is intended
solely for the use of the individual(s) or entity(ies) to whom it is
addressed and others authorized to receive it. If you are not the intended
recipient of this message or any parts of it, please immediately contact
the sender and delete the message from your system. No other person is
authorized to copy, forward or disclose, distribute or retain this message
in any form. The sender shall not be liable for the incomplete
transmission of this message nor for any delay in its receipt and does not
guarantee that this communication is free of viruses, interceptions or
interference.