These are good questions.  Digital humanities centers have been dealing
with these questions as they've accumulated projects, and sometimes they
have dumped them on libraries to try to preserve.  Leslie Johnston has
experience with this, which she summarized recently:
http://blogs.loc.gov/digitalpreservation/2013/04/digital-humanities-and-digital-preservation/
.

You might want to post to
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/digital-curation as well.