I agree with Bryan's caution against relying on publisher's use of
ISBNs.  You can't even rely on the ebook having an ISBN different from
that used by the print edition (or one of the print editions).

There is nothing like ISSN-L for ISBNs.  You could use the "What Work?"
LibraryThing API:

http://www.librarything.com/wiki/index.php/LibraryThing_APIs

--Kevin