We used to run IBM FastT 600 storage servers here, which are the
ancestors of the DSXXXX series, using the same Ingenio controllers.

With those you could add expansions units without downtime. The
procedure involved cabling up the the new units, then powering them on,
then, once recognized, inserting the disks a couple at a time, waiting
until they are recognized.

Of course, advice from IBM support would be a good idea :-) ... For
example IBM would sometimes caution that firmware in the new ESMs could
be at a higher level that the existing ESMs, and could cause problems.

Best of luck!
--
Graham Stewart
Network and Storage Services Manager