I agree with both Tom and Stuart. It is an easy problem to solve from a technology standpoint. It is, or least can be, a difficult one from a management standpoint. If institutional support is there figuring out the technology is easy. In this case, I'd start investigating the  technology part with something like Heritrix.

Edward
--
Edward M. Corrado