On Wednesday, May 22, 2013 8:01 AM, Joel Marchesoni wrote:
>I like the idea of a master ISBN (one number to rule them all? Sorry, too easy) but I think failing that I'd stick with the Ebook's ISBN. Any search on it will give a user the title and author of the work. Plus, it gives you a unique number for each item.

Are publishers better about how they use ISBNs on electronic resources than they are on books? Because an ISBN, while theoretically unique when applied as intended, is certainly not always unique in practice (where publishers reuse ISBNs for subsequent editions, and even sometimes for completely different books). That said, if you are including an ISBN in the name (for resources which have ISBNs), then I'd agree that the one that applies to the e-book version(s) should be used rather than the one(s) that should apply to the print version(s). As far as I know, there is not "such a thing like a "main" or "master" ISBN" [1].

###

[1] Wednesday, May 22, 2013 02:30, Michael Lackhoff

Thank you for your time,

Bryan Baldus
Senior Cataloger
Quality Books Inc.