Dear DLF community,

Indiana University and Northwestern University are happy to announce that release 1.0 of the Avalon Media System is now available to try out or download. The 1.0 release includes the following features:

Secure delivery of video and audio to desktop browsers and iOS (iPad/iPhone) devices.
Implementation as a Hydra application to provide easy search via the Blacklight discovery tool and integration with a Fedora repository.
Support for both Adobe Media Server and the Red5 open source media server for audio and video streaming.
Integration possibilities for a variety of authentication systems, along with permissions management by user- or group-based authorization.
Manual media ingest and description and a dropbox-based batch import capability.

You can try out Avalon 1.0 on our public test server, as described on our website:

http://www.avalonmediasystem.org/try-out-avalon

To download and install a preconfigured Avalon virtual machine image, to perform a step-by-step installation, or to find out how to download our source code from Github, visit the download page on our website:

http://www.avalonmediasystem.org/download

We invite your participation in evaluating Avalon and sharing your thoughts for prioritization of features in future releases. If you plan to try out or download Avalon, please sign up for the new email list, avalon-discuss-l, to get technical support or provide feedback, by clicking the link below:

https://list.indiana.edu/sympa/subscribe/avalon-discuss-l

We will be scheduling a webinar later this month to provide a 1.0 demo and give the community an opportunity to ask questions and offer ideas.

The Avalon project is led by the libraries of Indiana University and Northwestern University and is funded in part by a three-year National Leadership Grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.

To learn more about the Avalon project generally, please visit our project website:

http://www.avalonmediasystem.org/

Kind regards,
Claire