In looking quickly at your "not working in IE" example, it looks to me like
it does work in IE9 but not 8. So perhaps it works like you think it does,
only you're not seeing it because of IE's idiosyncrasies? Hope I'm
correctly understanding your question.

A few common IE gotchas, if you haven't tried these already or aren't
accustomed to messing with IE much (F12 for developer tools - actually lots
of good stuff here for checking the DOM, stylesheets, network):

*Be sure that IE is pretending to be the browser you think it is - check
the browser mode and document mode listed in the developer tools menu. IE
likes to switch modes for no good reason.
*IE can also be very aggressive about caching. There are cache settings you
can change in the developer tools but I find that they don't always work. A
full cache clear is sometimes what it takes to get the latest CSS update.