We are looking for another software developer to join the Digital Library
Technology Unit here at Notre Dame.

This morning I had 628 unread postings from jobs.code4lib.org. Now there will
be 1 more.

I have these job postings filterd separtely from the code4lib list. I largely
ignore them because I already have a job I love. Maybe you do too -- but I
hope not (for my own selfish reasons).

If you have any interest in or questions about this position please let me
know. [I'm all over the internets.](http://dan.brubakerhorst.com)

Here's the official job description:

Reporting to the Co-Director of Digital Initiatives and Scholarship, we are
seeking an experienced applications developer to develop front end
applications to manage campus research data and library collections in our
digital library. Solutions will provide access, discovery, security, and
preservation of unique library collections and campus research data. These
include areas such as research data visualizations, exhibit templates, image
viewers of rare manuscripts and high resolution images, and GIS mapping and
search utilities integrated into front end web applications. Because this is
an area with constantly shifting needs, this individual must have a strong
foundation in creating polished feature rich applications as well as a high
aptitude for mastering new skills and technologies quickly. This position will
participate in cross departmental and organizational groups with partners from
the Center for Research Computing (CRC), OIT, University Archives,
researchers, and Hesburgh Libraries to support research data management
efforts and managing collections throughout campus. This position requires
working well individually and with medium-size development teams on a variety
of projects of varying scope.

In collaboration with universities such as Stanford, Virginia, and University
of Hull, the incumbent will also contribute to an open source project called
Hydra (http://hydraproject.org) to create groundbreaking digital library
applications, tools, and services. The Hydra partnership was formed to pool
our collective resources to solve similar digital resource management
challenges faster. Faculty, researchers, students, and staff will benefit
directly from this partnership through solutions created for preserving data,
building rich discovery systems, managing descriptive information, and sharing
information across multiple groups and institutions required by research
projects and data management services mandated by grant funding agencies such
as NSF.

Other duties include:

- Coordinate front end solution design with other applications and digital library infrastructure developers to ensure optimal integration with services including metadata management, digitization workflows, image transformation, etc.
-2nd line resource for development of digital library infrastructure services

As it is dependent on grant funding, this is a one year term position with the
opportunity for renewal.

Minimum Qualifications:

- Computer Science degree, related technology degree, or significant user applications development and design experience.
- 3+ years Ruby on Rails, Python, Java, or equivalent object-oriented language development experience
- 3+ years experience developing with relational databases such as MySQL, Postgres, or Oracle
- Experience with HTML 5, XHTML, HTML, CSS, or equivalent front-end technologies
- Experience working with JavaScript, JQuery, and AJAX.

Preferred Qualifications:

- Experience with unit testing frameworks such as RSpec, cucumber, or JUnit
- Strong analytical, reasoning and problem resolution skills and demonstrated success in applying technology to meet user needs;
- Ability to handle interpersonal communications tactfully and accurately with a diverse community of users and vendors;
- Ability to work independently and in close conjunction with others in a team-oriented setting;
- Ability to learn and master new skills and technologies quickly
- Agile Development Process Experience
- Experience with Fedora Commons Repository, iRODS, LOCKSS, or other preservation system
- Experience utilizing Apache Solr or Lucene indexes
- Experience with build, deploy, and version control tools such as Git or SVN
- Experience with Linux/Unix operating systems administration, commands, utilities, and scripting;

Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/8817/