I see. I was afraid that I was going to have to dive into linked data, which I have avoided up to this point. I will have to go that route if the suggest api doesn't work for me.

Josh Welker

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ethan Gruber
Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2013 8:41 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] LOC Subject Headings API

Are you referring to hierarchical sets of terms, like "United States--History--War with Mexico, 1845-1848"?  This is an "earlier established term" of http://id.loc.gov/authorities/subjects/sh85140201 (now labeled "Mexican War, 1846-1848").  Ed Summers or Kevin Ford are in a better position to discuss the change of terminology, but it looks like LCSH is moving past this string-based hierarchy in favor of one expressed in terms of linked data.

Ethan