From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Wilhelmina Randtke
Sent: Friday, May 31, 2013 8:10 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Wordpress: Any way to selectively control caching for content areas on a page?

All campus pages are cached.  This is a huge problem for displaying library hours, because these change periodically (breaks between semester, spring to summer, intersession, holidays).  If a person has been to a page, even a month ago, they may see the older information - like seeing spring hours on the page, even though summer hours are posted.  I want the tiny little content area I can edit to not be cached, even though the giant campus template it appears in is cached and has to be lest the server go down with only tiny amounts of traffic.

I am guessing caching is through the browser and not server side.  Suppose, I go into a page with two browsers (so, maybe Firefox and Internet Explorer both on my computer).  Then I edit the page.  Then I refresh one browser.
Then I close the browsers and go back to the page with both browsers.  This will show me the old page with the browser I didn't refresh, and the new page with the one I did.

By the way, you can see what plugins are installed on a Wordpress site.
You take the list of plugins ( maybe this one posted here http://plugins.svn.wordpress.org/ ), then you append the plugin name to urlyouarelookingat.com/wp-content/plugins/ , then you run the list of URLs through Xenu Link Sleuth to check if you get a 404 or a 503.  404 means it is not installed.  503 (access forbidden) means the plugin is installed, but does not tell you if it is activated or not.  I think with some scripting and looking at Wordpress, I could get a list of active plugins, but I just pulled a list of installed plugins because that was what was easy to do.  This will not find custom plugins because it's just looking for the named list, so if you have a developer who wrote their own, then you can't see that, but you also wouldn't be able to examine the plugin source code, so it doesn't really matter to know names of custom plugins.
In my case, I highly doubt any custom plugins were used.

Based on a quickly pulled list of plugins, I suspect the caching is done through w3-total-cache.

-Wilhelmina Randtke