On 12 Jun 2013, at 14:06, Dana Pearson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Thanks for the replies..I had looked at GitHub but thought it something
> different, ie, collaborative software development...I will look again

Yes - that's the main use (git is version control software, GitHub hosts git repositories) - but of course git doesn't care what types of files you have under version control. It came to mind because I know it's been used to distribute metadata files before - e.g. this set of metadata from the Cooper Hewitt National Design Museum https://github.com/cooperhewitt/collection

There could be some additional benefits gained through using git to version control this type of file, and GitHub to distribute them if you were interested, but it can act as simply a place to put the files and make them available for download. But of course the other suggestions would do this simpler task just as well.

Owen