Forwarded on behalf of David Ferriero, Archivist of the United States

----------------------------------

June 19, 2013

Fellow NDSA Members,

I am pleased to let you know that after many months of thoughtful and
creative deliberation by staff at all levels, the National Archives and
Records Administration has a new draft strategic document to help guide us
into the future. Our new plan is both simple and bold.

NARA, like all other agencies across the Federal government, is required to
produce a strategic document. The draft available today is the next step in
meeting the requirement to deliver a plan to the Administration in February
2014. Our strategic plan further defines how NARA will continue to
transform to meet our ambitious vision. We take this process very
seriously; seeking input from partners and stakeholders like you is an
important part of the process.

I am writing to you to share the draft strategic plan and invite feedback
from NDSA member organizations.  The concerns of the digital preservation
and cultural heritage communities are of central importance to the National
Archives as we plan our future path.  I hope you will review this document
with particular attention to how our values and goals will serve
researchers who rely on the electronic records preserved in the National
Archives. Your comments will help us further refine our plan and will help
us better understand your aspirations for us.

A copy of the draft Strategic Plan is attached to this message for your
review.  Please send your comments/questions by email to [log in to unmask],
by mail to the Strategy Division (SP) Room 4100, Archives II, 8601 Adelphi
Road, College Park, MD 20740-6001, or by fax to 301-837-0319 until June 28,
2013.

Thank you for taking the time to participate in our strategic planning
process.

Sincerely,

DAVID S. FERRIERO

Archivist of the United States

National Archives and Records Administration
700 Pennsylvania Ave, NW
Washington, DC 20408-0001
www.archives.gov