Both Ruby and Python, have their strengths and weaknesses, and as others
have mentioned, it will come down to need and existing projects you want to
leverage.

We use both Python and Ruby internally.

Know your tools and their strengths and weaknesses.

My personal interested is more and more revolved around natural language
processing, and its potential in library based tools. Purging is quite
strong in computational linguistics and has useful libraries for natural
language processing.

Andrew