On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 8:25 AM, Matthew Sherman
<[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Ok folks, we have veered into nonconstructive territory.  How about we
> come back to the original question and help this person figure out
> what they need to about Ruby and Python so they can do well with what
> they want to work on.

The systems and projects you work on dictate what languages you must know.
If the idea is to just start learning, find a project that interests you
and learn whatever that requires.

Whatever language you use, data comes in, you do something with it, data
goes out. You'll undoubtedly call up some libraries to help you. Finding
yet another way to do that isn't necessarily a good idea. There's no way to
avoid working with a bunch of languages nowadays, so I wouldn't recommend
adding to that stack unless you have to.