What, exactly, is the intended goal for the stack exchange sites?

We have pretty established and highly active forums of communication in our
field. What does SE bring to the table that's enough of an advantage to
pull people away from the existing forums?

These SE sites really seemed to be trying to solve a problem that doesn't
exist, especially, as noted by others, that the "SE way" is culturally
quite different than how we usually ask questions.

-Ross.