Have you considered putting up a Q&A site outside of the SE network, where
you can control the set of policies employed better?  At DataONE, we are
experimenting using AskBot on our own host (https://ask.dataone.org/),
which gives us the leeway to be much more permissive as a community about
what questions are permitted and how answers work than is possible at SE.
 If at some point we decide that our model matches the Stack Exchange
model, we could migrate there, but it also works well as a standalone site.
 Would this be a reasonable compromise for LIS to build a hybrid site and
experiment with the model?

Matt