Hi all,

Sorry for the late entry in the conversation (server fires. server
fires everywhere)... just adding two cents in the thread: one cent
technical, and the other on a higher level.

The technical cent:
I've set up an OSQA instance on my personal server for
http://www.libcatcode.org and have had mixed results with the software
itself. There is really no good way of stopping spam accounts from
registering. Since I moved to a new server the spam accounts have
lessened, but hasn't stopped totally.

There's also the issue that OSQA is pretty much not well maintained
anymore. The latest version on osqa.net is from 2011. However, there
seems to be some blips of recent activity on the github repo at
https://github.com/OSQA/osqa/commits/master.

The cent on the higher level:
Libcatcode was fairly narrow in its focus (cataloging/metadata folks
and library-type programmers), and it was trying to ride on the
enthusiasm that the Code Year push generated. So, when the initial
enthusiasm died down a few months later, the site went dormant (I also
had a pretty slow server to start with, so that probably didn't help
at all either). A broader focus would help with a broader audience,
but this broader audience brings a whole lot of mess. This is where
listservs usually win over broad sites like LIS SE, since, going back
an earlier example, asking a cataloging question in AUTOCAT guaranteed
that other catalogers were going to see that question, instead of
posting a cataloging question on SE where there might be little to no
folks with cataloging knowledge there.

As you've probably seen with Libcatcode, I've been pretty flexible on
what was included in the traditional Q&A structure. I'm not sure if
that type of site management would have worked in the long run, but
for the brief run we had so far, it did fine. It was the rules
lawyering at the LIS SE which drove me away from that site, so I tried
not to have that happen at libcatcode.

I've spent all my spare change for now. Feel free to pick my brain if needed.

Thanks,
Becky

Becky Yoose
Discovery and Integrated Systems Librarian
Assistant Professor
Grinnell College