We labored on this last Spring when we migrated to ILLiad hosted. We were
using the remote auth with CAS. The problem was intermittent. We finally
reproduced it while using the Firefox plugin Live HTTP headers where we
could specifically see CAS cookie getting dropped. For example after login
we'd see three cookies:
Cookie: s_vi=[CS]v1|...[CE]; ILLiadSessionID=J...; CASIIS=7...
and then after clicking submit for a request we'd only see two cookies with
the CAS cookie missing:
Cookie: s_vi=[CS]v1|...[CE]; ILLiadSessionID=J...

The user's request would not go through and they would be logged off. A
little different from your scenario, but in general the cookie/session
handling is buggy. We finally went to authentication through EzProxy as a
workaround, and did not have much luck engaging OCLC in a discussion about
more robust support of remote auth and CAS.

--Jimmy

--
Jimmy Ghaphery
Head, Digital Technologies