A few more factual follow-ups for reference:

- The negotiation process was NOT easy and we explored many different
venues.  We are not getting a raw deal.  Trust me, we had some raw deals
offered.  This contract has a lot of things that help us keep our
collective costs down and protect the conference.

- The Hilton in Raleigh is not competitor geographically to the downtown
hotels, which have their own conference spaces but also serve the Raleigh
Convention Center across the street from both.

- I am checking with CONCENTRA and the Sheraton about whether those booking
with government rates can count toward our block.  The Sheraton conference
manager is on vacation this week so it will be at least a week before I
have an answer.  However, I do expect we have more government rate eligible
attendees than hotels typically allocate for in any given situation.

As Francis said, it is hard to convince hotels to trust a non-organization
like Code4Lib.  But that's why we hired CONCENTRA for this year.  They do
this all year long, for conferences big and small, and they know how to
negotiate (as I saw and heard firsthand the past couple months).  And
they'll be continuing to work with us through the end of the conference and
all the bill paying that happens after the conference.

We are in good hands, but as Roy said, please join the planning committee.
 There is plenty of room!

Tim

--
Tim McGeary