On 7/6/2013 12:16 PM, Galen Charlton wrote:
> To give a concrete example, one question that would deserve an
> answer is why would a cataloger use a StackExchange (or a clone thereof)
> rather than AUTOCAT?

I'm not sure I see a reason. One of the big problems, IMHO, with the
StackExchange model is their strict adherence to the model with which a
question is presented. It seemed to me that so many were trying to use
the LIS StackExchange space in a more open way than it was intended. It
looked, after a while, like so many people were being penalized for
failing to state their question in a specific way ... like when
Jeopardy! contestants are penalized for failing to put their answer in
the form of a question.

The mailing list is more open and accepting in its functionality, and
those who are asking questions aren't penalized for asking their
question in a non-preferred way (except, perhaps, that they don't get
their answer soon enough). Those who have subscribed to the list, of
course, have to put up with more back-and-forth but listservs have been
around for decades and people have developed coping mechanisms for this.

-- Henry
--------