On 7/7/13 5:21 AM, Henry Mensch wrote:
> On 7/6/2013 12:16 PM, Galen Charlton wrote:
>> To give a concrete example, one question that would deserve an
>> answer is why would a cataloger use a StackExchange (or a clone thereof)
>> rather than AUTOCAT?
>
> I'm not sure I see a reason. One of the big problems, IMHO, with the
> StackExchange model is their strict adherence to the model with which a
> question is presented. It seemed to me that so many were trying to use
> the LIS StackExchange space in a more open way than it was intended. It
> looked, after a while, like so many people were being penalized for
> failing to state their question in a specific way ... like when
> Jeopardy! contestants are penalized for failing to put their answer in
> the form of a question.

That was what I ran into. Asking what software would solve a problem was
strictly forbidden on the library SE. You had to already know what
software you wanted to use and ask specific questions about its
functionality. I decided rather quickly there was no point to it.

The digital preservation SE looked more encouraging, but I think the
interested community just wasn't big enough to meet the requirements.

--
Gary McGath, Professional Software Developer
http://www.garymcgath.com