I like the idea of vote to promote as well as having a searchable
archive of answers on the web.  For me it comes down to it being "out of
sight, out of mind".  It has to come to my "inbox" for me to pay
attention, which is one of the nice features of the "Code4Lib Jobs"
app.  In that vein, StackExchange has an API, which could be used to
simply forward a daily digest of questions to the mailing list.  If all
we need is an increase in traffic to establish the forum, that might do it.

Questions could be tagged with "code4lib" to make them easy to
aggregate.  For example, we can get all the "php" tagged questions
posted in the past day:

http://api.stackexchange.com/2.1/questions?fromdate=1373155200&todate=1373241600&order=desc&sort=activity&tagged=php&site=stackoverflow

-Shaun