Thanks, Owen. This is interesting.

In the schemaBibEx [1] group we have for the moment punted on serial
holdings, in part because we don't have a use case for digging into
detail in that environment. (And we all know it will be very complicated.)

We're looking at actual library holdings statements [2] and trying to
imagine how to express those on the web in a way that will expose
library services. Since schema.org is intended to be "simple markup" for
web pages, it's interesting to think in terms of what services might be
useful when, for example, a library's holdings are linked to a Wikipedia
article for a person or subject.  This could extend John Ockerbloom's
library resources box in Wikipedia.[3]

At the moment we're thinking in terms of location (library and shelf),
availability (on shelf, checked out, library use only) and services
(place a hold, download, check out ebook).

kc
[1] http://www.w3.org/community/schemabibex/wiki/Holdings
[2]  http://kcoyle.net/holdings.html
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Library_resources_box