This discussion brought to mind this oldie but goodie...

http://www.canonical.org/~kragen/tao-of-programming.html

Thus spake the master programmer:
``When you have learned to snatch the error code from the trap frame, it will be time for you to leave.''
1.1
Something mysterious is formed, born in the silent void. Waiting alone and unmoving, it is at once still and yet in constant motion. It is the source of all programs. I do not know its name, so I will call it the Tao of Programming.
If the Tao is great, then the operating system is great. If the operating system is great, then the compiler is great. If the compiler is great, then the application is great. The user is pleased and there exists harmony in the world.
The Tao of Programming flows far away and returns on the wind of morning.
1.2
The Tao gave birth to machine language. Machine language gave birth to the assembler.
The assembler gave birth to the compiler. Now there are ten thousand languages.
Each language has its purpose, however humble. Each language expresses the Yin and Yang of software. Each language has its place within the Tao.
But do not program in COBOL if you can avoid it...

pax,

John Lolis
Information Technology Manager
White Plains Public Library
100 Martine Avenue
White Plains, NY 10601

email: [log in to unmask]
tel: 1.914.422.1497
fax: 1.914.422.1452

http://whiteplainslibrary.org/

>>> On 7/30/2013 at 11:57 AM, in message <[log in to unmask]>, Peter Schlumpf <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Real coders roll their own programming languages.