The British Antarctic Survey (BAS), part of the Natural Environment Research
Council, aims to undertake a world-class programme of scientific research, and
to sustain for the UK an active and influential regional presence and a
leadership role in Antarctic affairs. We are currently seeking four marine
data assistants to work at our modern complex of offices on the outskirts of
Cambridge.

You will be based in the Polar Data Centre working as part of a team of data
managers who are responsible for the management of data collected by UK funded
scientists in the polar regions. The marine data assistants will form a core
element of an exciting new project to enhance the availability and
accessibility of BAS marine data. Two of the posts will focus on cruise
metadata and events helping to compile a database of what occurred on each and
every BAS cruise. One post will focus on BAS multibeam bathymetric data,
processing and cleaning the raw data so it can be made available to scientists
worldwide for reuse. The final post will focus on processing and cleaning
navigational data collected during BAS cruises using a standardised
methodology. This will ensure it will always be possible to link what happened
on a cruise to where and when it happened.

We are looking for enthusiastic scientists or data managers with knowledge of
an aspect of marine science, an ability to learn quickly and who have a high
level of attention to detail. You will need a degree, or equivalent work
experience, in a related subject area and experience in either managing data,
or processing and cleaning data. You need to be able to rapidly understand new
datasets - what the data are, and how, and why, they were collected, and be
good at spotting errors or quality issues in datasets. You must be able to
prioritise tasks, clearly report progress and have the ability to work as a
team member and independently with minimal supervision.

Qualifications: Degree (or equivalent work experience) in a scientific or data
management subject area

Duration: Each post is a 7 month fixed term, full-time appointment (37 hours
per week), ideally starting in early September 2013. Please state in your
application if you have a preference for a particular post or whether you are
willing to be considered for any of them.

Salary: Salary will be in the range of £19,740 to £23,390 per annum pro-rata.
We offer a generous benefits package including a defined salary pension
scheme, free car parking, flexible working hours and 30 days annual leave pro-
rata.

On-line application forms and further information are available on our
website, please click on the 'Apply' button below.

These are also available from the Human Resources Section, British Antarctic
Survey, High Cross, Madingley Road, Cambridge, CB3 0ET. Tel: (01223) 221508.

Please quote reference: BAS 89/13

Closing date for receipt of application forms is 28th July 2013

Interviews are scheduled to be held on. w/c 5th August 2013

We welcome applications from all sections of the community. People from ethnic
minorities are currently under-represented and their applications are
particularly welcome.

British Antarctic Survey -The Polar Data Centre

Four Posts

Please quote ref no: 89/13

Closing date for applications: 28 Jul 2013 at 11:59pm

Brought to you by code4lib jobs: http://jobs.code4lib.org/job/8911/