I've used a couple of Add-ins for regexp in excel, but I wondered if regexp had the ability to test the multiple matches in a single-line expression.  But I guess that does require a multiline program - I'll use VB. Thanks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kyle Banerjee
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 11:47 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Regular expression for maximum 4-digit number

AFAIK, Excel has no built in regex capabilities so you'd need to call vbscript from Excel to do this.

In any case, you'll need to write an actual program to evaluate each line since multiple values can occur in the same line. This will be easier if done as text than in VBA. Besides, the data in Excel came from Mil in text to begin with.

There are many ways to do what you want, but perl would be hard to beat for this use case

Kyle