Personally, I prefer Python. If you are wanting to do more information science-y things, Ruby doesn't have equivalent libraries for things like the Natural Language Toolkit<http://nltk.org/> or SciPy<http://www.scipy.org/>.

In Ruby's defense, Python doesn't have Blacklight<http://projectblacklight.org/>, and the Python packaging system is terrible.

For XML, nothing beats Java. If you want to use XSLT 2.0 in software then the JVM is your only option. The JVM is undergoing a kind of renaissance with all the cool languages that can run on it now: Clojure, jRuby, Jython, Scala. With these languages you can enjoy the scriptyness, while also being able to bring in the heavy-duty Java XML libraries if they are needed.

James Little
Digital Programmer
Otto G. Richter Library | University of Miami

On Jul 29, 2013, at 3:51 PM, Wilhelmina Randtke <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>