I would like to share a presentation I gave at this year's IPTC conference held in Barcelona. The presentation is intended to show how embedded metadata can help users properly identify downloaded images and use them more efficiently. Even though I focused on museums, I think the message also applies to archives and libraries.

This presentation doesn't address the techniques for embedded metadata, that is a whole other topic. First, it seems we have to convince institutions it is worthwhile and to commit time and money to it.

As you watch the video, keep in mind that the audience was European, hence my joke about the Las Vegas Luxor hotel. I think Europeans are more serious than us because they didn't laugh. That's the only explanation that makes sense to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k52laAg4wk&feature=youtu.be

Greg Reser
Arts Library
University of California, San Diego