Technology tools are a non issue here.  Straightforward documented open
source technology is readily available.  What is missing is technology
skills.  Someone can't buy those if they don't already have technology
skills, or else they are a sitting duck for scammers.

With a basic pricing of about $1000 a year, it's counter productive to try
look at open source alternatives.  $1000 a year with more handholding is
good.  Even companies, like lishost, which do open source for libraries
price in this same range, because they have to take on more handholding.  I
also don't see vendor lock in issues in LibGuides, since the research
guides concept includes routine change and replacing content.

If you want libraries to operate better, what you should be doing is having
conversations with people from a variety of libraries, including small
poorly resourced ones, recognizing that there is a spectrum of needs, and
being available to provide realistic advice.  (That advice would be
different for different libraries.)

Lack of access to technology skill creates the situations in which
LibGuides is useful and beneficial.  Lack of access to technology
skill causes most situations in which LibGuides are a counter productive
waste of time, whether that's a misguided administrator or poor
interdepartmental communication (yes, even competent IT housed in a library
is sometimes not proactive and helpful at being in touch with IT-hostile
reference departments).  If you have technology skill, then by having broad
connections and being available to give advice or pointers, you can assist
libraries / departments that don't have the luxury of having access to
technology skill.  If all you do is drum on open source diy, when there is
a low cost alternative that works, then you harm things.

-Wilhelmina Randtke