I just have to say I have been thinking the exact same thing about LibGuides
for the two years I've been using it. I feel vindicated knowing others feel
the same way.

At UCMO, we will be migrating to Drupal in the next several months, and I am
hoping very much that I can convince people to use less LibGuides.

LibGuides is great in its ease of use, but fails on just about every design
principle I can think of. There have been several studies on "tab blindness"
in LibGuides, and don't get me started on the sub-tab links that are hiding
and require the user to mouse over a tab to even see what is there. I've
tried telling people so many times to have just a few tabs and always to use
a table of contents for the main page, but they rarely do. And it becomes
just about impossible to have a consistent look and feel across your website
when LibGuides allows guide creators to modify every element on the page as
they see fit. People will do crazy things like putting page content in a
sidebar element, something you'd never ever ever see on any website on the
Internet. I tried to enforce uniform colors and column sizes across all the
guides, but I was told to let it go because my coworkers wanted to be able
to decide those things on a guide-by-guide basis.

I've worked at two institutions that use LibGuides, and what inevitably
happens is that librarians create one Uber Guide for entire subject areas
(biology, religion, etc) and then create sub-pages for all the dozens of
specific disciplines within those subject areas. And then, assuming the user
somehow manages to find these pages, they are typically not much more than a
list of links that could have easily been included on the main library
website.

Okay, sorry for the rant. It has been building up for several years and
never had a chance to voice out.

Josh Welker
Information Technology Librarian
James C. Kirkpatrick Library