I used VirtualBox on a personal machine for a while, mostly because I
needed pc specific applications and I had a mac at home. It is a little
slow, but that could probably be partially addressed by allocating your RAM
a little differently. And can also be a little tricky to configure properly
if you are doing anything "special." I seem to remember having to uninstall
and reinstall windows a couple of different times for it to actually work.
Also, not all peripherals will work through VirtualBox. I don't think I
could print anything from there, and the webcam/mic that was native on the
mac would not work. There were some other things that were wonky, too, but
I haven't needed to use it in about a year, so I can't remember exactly
what was odd and non-functional. Also it could have be that if I had messed
with the configuration settings a bit more it would have been more
functional.

I've heard that Parallels is easier to set up. But it costs money. I chose
VirtualBox because it was free, and that was about how much money I was
willing to put into it. :)