Why can't it be both? Just because the library has its own Web server
(something I would never, ever give up, mostly for Michael's reason #5),
that doesn't mean some of the library's content can't be part of the main
institutional Web site. That's what we do here. All of the relatively
static content--policies, guidelines, "About Us" type information,
etc.--lives on the College's Web site, as does content that benefits from
being able to draw on other College systems -- e.g., the library staff
directory and calendar of events. However, we still run a couple of
"specialized library CMSs" on our own Web server for content types that
benefit from special handling: Archon for our archival collections, and
SubjectsPlus for our subject and course guides. As much as is practical I
try to keep a relatively consistent look and feel across all three systems
(as well as the library catalog, our public-facing Serials Solutions pages,
the IR, etc.), so patrons think of the whole ball of wax as "the library
web site" no matter which specific system they're really using.

Julia

Julia Bauder

Social Studies and Data Services Librarian

Grinnell College Libraries

1111 Sixth Ave.

Grinnell, IA 50112

641-269-4431