Depending on the size of the space you're working with, you could totally
do this with a Kinect. I'm not completely sure on how far you could go with
the coding, but you could probably use it to track the length of time
people sit at a given location.

The drawback here would likely be people getting squicked out about the
panopticon-ness of it all, but you could probably even turn it into an
exhibit of source - if nothing else then to demonstrate that you're just
scanning stick-figure outlines and not full recordings of people.