I worked a lot with GATE in a previous position (not in a library, but in a
research position at the Univ. of Texas at Austin). It's handy in that
there is both a UI version (GATE Developer) and a set of APIs (GATE
Embedded), which were the only versions I worked with. Also nice is the
fact that there is reasonably good documentation from the Univ. of
Sheffield (http://gate.ac.uk/), including some basic video tutorials and
slides from recent training courses that you can step through (
http://gate.ac.uk/wiki/TrainingCourseJune2013/).

Pretty much all the standard text-mining tools can be accessed through
GATE, by creating a pipeline that incorporates the tools you need. There
are also some default machine learning options if you don't want to roll
your own. There's even a UIMA plug-in if you'd like to use it inside a GATE
pipeline.

Danielle

--

Danielle Cunniff Plumer