These virtualization tools run as apps in OSX. Double-click (wait...) and go.

VirtualBox is owned by Oracle, which picked it up from Sun who bought it as a way to promote Solaris on the desktop (We know how well that worked out). Like MySQL, it is free for now, but no guarantees.

Other virtualization tools for OSX are VMWare Fusion (meh) and Parallels (fastest).

Cary