You could do something like what I did and run your own data backend and use
whatever you need to/have to to display content.

Our website is just static HTML, CSS, and Javascript. Everything
dynamic/data-powered is javascript that is pulling from a centralized API
(written using grape: http://intridea.github.io/grape/). We can move the
website to some cloud provider, into a central IT-managed system, or
elsewhere and it won't break.

I originally presented the concept at code4lib 2011 (slides:
http://www.slideshare.net/MrDys/lets-get-small-a-microservices-approach-to-l
ibrary-websites), but it's in production now.

-Sean