Hey Dre, Perhaps a video camera with some OpenCV?

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Andreas Orphanides
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:55 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Way to record usage of tables/rooms/chairs in Library

If I were feeling really ambitious -- and fair warning, I'm a big believer that any solution worth engineering is worth over-engineering -- I'd come up with something involving light sensors (a la a gate counter) mounted on the table legs, just above seat height. Throw in some something something Arduino or Raspberry Pi, and Bob's your uncle.

I find myself more intimidated by the practicality of maintaining such a system (batteries, cord management etc) than about the practicality of this implementation, actually.

-dre.