That is correct, you could configure VuFind to use its Pazpar2 module as the primary interface and bypass the local Solr index.  If you wanted to do website searching, though, you would still need to run an indexing process and maintain an index -- this is mechanically similar to the original VuFind module for searching catalog records.

Note that Pazpar2 is not very feature-rich from a discovery perspective (it allows you to aggregate a very broad range of records at the cost of being able to do fewer things with those records) so the VuFind Pazpar2 module is functionally quite limited, though it may be possible to extend it for your local needs.  If you are able to get Pazpar2 working to your satisfaction, the task of setting up VuFind to experiment with it is much easier!

Please let me know if you have further questions or if I can do anything more to help.

- Demian