From: Code for Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Karen Coombs
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2013 11:26 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] netflix search mashups w/ library tools?

Ken,

I did a mashup that took Netflix's top 100 movies and looked to see if a specific library had that item.
http://www.oclc.org/developer/applications/netflix-my-library

You might think about doing the following. Search WorldCat for titles on a particular topic and then check to see if the title is available via Netflix. Netflix API for searching their catalog is pretty limited though so it might not give you what you want. It looks like it only allows you to search their streamable content.

Also I had a lot of trouble with trying to match Netflix titles and library holdings. Because there isn't a good match point. DVDs don't have ISBNs and if you use title you can get into trouble because movies get remade. So title + date seems to work best if you can get the information.

Karen