Does anyone have a simple example of reading a MARC file using the Java
marc4j library? The documentation is rather lackluster (
http://marc4j.tigris.org/doc/) and I am unable to find anything helpful
Googling or searching discussion lists. I am wanting to do something like
this:

public class MARCParser(){

   public ArrayList<String> getData(File file){

      MarcReader reader = new MarcReader(file);

      ArrayList<String> data = new ArrayList<>;

      while(reader.next()){

          data.add(reader.getField(“856”));

      }

      return data;

  }

}

I figured this would be a simple enough task and have done something very
similar with a  PHP MARC library, but I am stumped here.

Josh Welker

Information Technology Librarian

James C. Kirkpatrick Library

University of Central Missouri