There's a pretty good example included in the "samples" section of the
source (
http://marc4j.tigris.org/source/browse/marc4j/src/org/marc4j/samples/ReadMarcExample.java?revision=1.1&view=markup
).

Your particular use might look something like this (not tested):

public class MARCParser() {

    public List<String> getData(File file) {
        MarcReader reader = new MarcStreamReader(new FileInputStream(file));
        List<String> data = new ArrayList<String>();
        while (reader.hasNext()) {
            Record record = reader.next();
            VariableField field = record.getVariableField("856");
            data.add(field.toString());
        }
    return data;
    }